Workout: Running (11.5 miles since last posting...)
As you can see, my blog posts have gotten pretty scattered. And long. Lots of credit hours, less naps out of your toddler, and lots of practicums mean little to no time to blog/workout. I made the time to go for a run today. Sometimes even when I have the time, I'm just so exhausted that a nap is much more appealing. I'm thankful I did run today, even with the bug attacking my eye viciously and making me run .5 miles shorter than planned, but whatever. S/n- I need to purchase a pair of inexpensive running sunglasses. Like bad. I'm sick and tired of insects meeting me too personally. My eye still hurts.
This veganism lifestyle is forever a learning process. Actually, being healthy in any aspect is a constant learning process. Like today, I needed a snack for little E for our run. CVS didn't have much to offer, so I went with Fruit Loops. Yep, that Kellog's cereal. The ingredients seemed vegan to me, so I went with it. I did some research later on and found out that yes, the ingredients don't list any animal products; however, the vitamin D many factories use is a byproduct of a sheep. D3 is from a sheep's wool (really?), D2 is not animal based and totally approved. Because some Kellog's factories use D3 and some use D2, they can't actually say their cereals are vegan approved. Why not only use D2? Duh. Another fun fact: the particular almond milk I use has 45% more CALCIUM than milk. Pretty cool. "Where do you get your calcium & protein??" questions are quite popular.
Also at CVS, I asked the pharmacist what vitamins she would recommend a vegan to take. She looked at me like I was crazy and then said she wasn't familiar with that. A man overheard me and gave me a strange look. Needless to say, there are some super bad stereotypes for vegans and that part does suck. No, I don't think you're a horrible person for eating meat/dairy. I still eat it and will still eat it from time to time myself. If I eat 100% vegan during the week, and 50% vegan on the weekends, that's totally fine. This is a movement for health, not for a political standpoint or animal rights activist. Sure, it does feel good to know I'm eating a tremendous amount less of animals, but that's not my main purpose. That's just a bonus. It's like drinking water...you drink it to be hydrated, but getting clear skin as well is a bonus. So please, don't automatically assume that since someone/I'm living a vegan lifestyle means I'm some hippy-know-everything-peace-baby-judgmental person. K? K.
Anyways, here are some photos. Favorite meal since last time, BBQ tofu. Delicious. Two veggies I still don't like: Brussel Sprouts & Celery. Nope.
 |
| this is just beautiful. |
.JPG) |
| So happy to have a new trail to run on. |
.JPG) |
| One of her favorite forms of excercise |
.JPG) |
| Random frozen veggie concoction. Bleh brussel sprouts. |
.JPG) |
| Fruity oatmeal |
.JPG) |
| Veggie Spaghetti |
.JPG) |
| Her favorite meal. Still. |
.JPG) |
| Walking barefoot after our run |
.JPG) |
| Took a break 2 miles in...before the bug. |
.JPG) |
| The fruit loops. Haha |
ok, I don't care for brussels sprouts either, but here's a great way to cook them. EVOO in a heated on the stove on medium high. Put in the brussels once it's warm. Then saute them until they turn a bright green. Add salt and pepper, then saute for 2 more minutes. Add vegetable broth to the pan...about an 1 to 1 1/2 inch. Sprinkle with nutmeg; cover them and let them cook on medium until most of the broth is absorbed and they are a darker green. They won't have that nasty, bitter brussel sprout taste! Hope you like it! I have nothing for celery though...it just tastes plain gross lol
ReplyDeleteAww I love some celery with peanut butter on it. I use it in soups as well. I've never had brussel sprouts so I don't have an opinion. The above recipe sounds amazing, however!
ReplyDelete