Disclaimer: Becoming a runner will change you. You will become happier, mentally stronger, less stressed, more confident, more courageous, physically stronger, etc. You will get high from the endorphin rush. You can and will become addicted to it. You will lose weight. You will end up loving the freedom of running. I will not be held responsible for this. And no, I am not a personal trainer and/or a nutritionist. All my "knowledge" is just my own personal experience. Discretion is advised. ;)

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Change-up.

WORKOUT: 16 minutes of a bodyrock.tv workout & ab work. 

Weighed in today & barely lost what I gained during my bad week. That's crazy. One bad week means more than 2 weeks to recover from. I gotta remember that when I want to eat my entire kitchen next time. I decided to see what I could do differently this week, and here is what I came up with: 

1) Drink more water. Obviously, important yet I didn't do my best at it. If we don't get enough water, our body retains water. Meaning...extra weight on the scale because of water retention. I have a new water bottle that has the ounces on it...that better help.

2) Watch my sodium intake. I was thinking with all my peanut butter consumption, whole grain tortilla chips with avocado, pretzels, etc....my sodium intake has got to be pretty high! This week I'm aiming to eat fruit/veggies for snacks instead of my other snacks. 

3) Switch up my peanut butter & jelly. My bread isn't too shabby, but I read that my peanut butter should be all natural with no hydrogenated oil & my jelly shouldn't have high fructose corn syrup. Both of them failed that test. I adore my peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, so I will do whatever necessary to make them healthier, but I will NEVER give them up. Ever.

4) I have been eating about 1600 calories and sometimes I have a good 600-800 leftover on a day that I run 6+ miles even after I eat the 1600 to begin with. Wait, does that make sense? Ok, I eat 1600, burn off 600, then am back to a calorie intake of 1000 by the end of the day. See? I thought I needed to eat those calories, so I would, but I wasn't hungry when I was eating them. I just didn't want to freak my body out like I was starving it or something. Well, I talked to a SELF magazine trainer (they are on the facebook on Tuesday mornings, btw) and she said that if I don't feel hungry, don't eat the extra calories. "Listen to your body." So, I have been eating more than enough, apparently. 

5) I'm shocking my body this week. Doing more incorporation of strength training & high resistance training while continuing my running training plan. Yep, going hardcore. Muscle burns more calories & muscle is hot. Mm.

All in all, I feel good. I feel healthy. I'm definitely feeling better in my clothes, so even though a number isn't where I would ideally want it, I'm still happy with me.

3 comments:

  1. Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter (they also make organic, but it's crazy expensive) and Polaner All Fruit jellies. :)

    Be careful with the not eating your calories...that's how I screwed up my metabolism the first time I lost weight. A lot of professional trainers say that you should eat the calories even if you don't feel like it--but you need to eat them wisely: proteins, veggies, etc. I'm not saying don't listen to the person you talked to, just be really careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions! I definitely don't want to mess up my metabolism. Maybe I'll shoot for only leaving a couple hundred if I'm not hungry? I'll try to find the healthy balance. Thanks for your input!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Every bit of research I've done says you should not get under 1200 calories in a day, so maybe that could be your cut off when you don't feel hungry? Just an idea. :)

      Delete