Disclaimer: Becoming a runner will change you. You will become happier, mentally stronger, less stressed, more confident, more courageous, physically stronger, etc. You will get high from the endorphin rush. You can and will become addicted to it. You will lose weight. You will end up loving the freedom of running. I will not be held responsible for this. And no, I am not a personal trainer and/or a nutritionist. All my "knowledge" is just my own personal experience. Discretion is advised. ;)

Thursday, March 15, 2012

once upon a time it was 75 degrees out...

WORKOUT: 6.1 miles/49 mins & 38 secs. With a million pauses, in a hundred degree weather. 
took 1 photo & then kept running..
I cannot believe how difficult the heat makes a run. Running in the cold is SO easy in comparison. I miss those days already. It's scary to think about the race next month now. If it's hot like it was today, (which is should be considering it's only going to get hotter) I'm SCREWED. Keeping my "normal" pace was out of the question & not pausing for a breather was never gonna happen. I ended up tying my shirt up with an extra hair tie, rolling my capri-type running pants up, and hoping I didn't pass anyone. But I did. Several times. I just need to lose my pride and run  naked with just shorts and a sport's bra. I see so many other women do it. Maybe I'd be more motivated to do my ab & leg workouts, too. Here are some tips I found after researching how to handle a run in the heat: 

SET YOUR ALARM Sunrise is the coolest time of day, although it can also be the most humid. It will still be hot at sunset because the ground radiates accumulated heat. (Crap, gotta get up early??)

GO TECH-Y Technical fabrics wick away sweat. Keep sun out of your eyes with a visor, not a hat, which traps heat.

DRINK UP Drink eight ounces of liquids before you head out and two to four sips of water every 15 minutes.

SLOW DOWN Every five-degree rise in temperature above 60° F can slow your pace up to 20 to 30 seconds per mile. (I feel less sucky now..)

RUN IN WATER Substitute one weekly run with a pool-running session of the same duration. Use a flotation device and move your legs as if you were running on land.

COOL OFF On very hot days, run for eight to 15 minutes, then hose yourself off or jump in a pool for three to five minutes. Repeat as necessary.

WALK MORE If you run for three minutes and walk for one minute when it's 60° F, run for two minutes and walk for one at 70° F, and run and walk for one minute each at 80° F. Above 90° F? Just walk.(Yay, pausing didn't mean failing!)

3 comments:

  1. That's very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully it's still only in the high 60s/ low 70s here, but you look great girl! So don't be embarrassed to run in just a sports bra and shirt.....that's way better than having a heat stroke. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad you shared the tips haha!!!!! hopefully they can help me!! it is 80 degrees today :( and really humid to top it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete